According to findings from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), as well as other researchers, when motorists are drunk:
- One of the first things to start to deteriorate is their sense of judgment. In fact, at BACs as low as 0.02, motorists can start showing impaired judgment behind the wheel.
- Their abilities to focus on all of the necessary driving tasks become significantly impaired. This typically leaves drunk drivers either concentrating on a single task or not focusing on any tasks behind the wheel.
- They are also less capable of understanding the driving situation around them, affecting their interpretation of and response to driving conditions. This can be deadly when immediate comprehension and reaction to an emergency situation is necessary to avoid a serious auto collision.
- Their reaction times can be delayed by as much as 25 percent (when compared to sober states/drivers). This significantly opens up the risk of a car accident.
- Their visual acuity can be reduced by as much as 32 percent, and this can, in turn, prevent them from seeing important visual cues. In other words, being drunk can result in risky tunnel vision, as well as impaired depth perception, both of which also greatly increase the risk of an accident.
This combination of factors can mean that, when drunk, motorists’ risk of getting into a traffic accident increases by at least eight times.
Protecting Yourself Against Drunk Drivers
Although you cannot control the sobriety of other motorists on the road, here’s what you can do to minimize the chances that you’ll be in an accident with a drunk driver:
- Stay sober and attentive behind the wheel.
- Drive defensively and always comply with traffic laws.
- Report drunk drivers to the authorities (if you see motorists on the road who may not be sober).
Louisville Car Accident Lawyer at Murphy & Associates, PLC
Have you been injured in a car accident or in any type of motor vehicle accident? If so, you can get experienced help pursuing compensation and justice by contacting a trusted Louisville car accident lawyer at Murphy & Associates, PLC. Our team of experienced lawyers is dedicated to protecting the rights of those who have been injured by negligence.
In addition to representing individuals in car and truck accident cases, our Louisville attorneys are also skilled and experienced at successfully resolving cases related to medical malpractice, animal attacks, and other personal injuries.
To get professional advice from one of our attorneys and find out more about how we can help you, call us at (502) 532-8395 or email us using the contact form on this page.
We welcome your call or email from anywhere in Kentucky, Indiana, or elsewhere throughout the Midwest or South. All case evaluations are free, and most representations are taken on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay us nothing unless we succeed in recovering money on your behalf.